Pastor Chris Baucom
Chris Baucom is the Pastor at Benton Cross Roads Baptist Church in Monroe, NC. He leads our staff in prayer at the beginning of our staff meetings.
WILL HEAVEN BE YOUR FUTURE HOME?
The Christian Life
Many people who call our company or visit our website realize that we embrace the Christian Faith and run our business according to the Golden Rule. It isn’t uncommon for friends or clients to wonder or even ask, “What is it about you that makes you different and gives you such peace of mind and happiness?” It is for this reason that I want to answer this question for you.
There is more to living the Christian life than following the Golden Rule which says, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”. The Christian life isn’t a religion of do’s and don’ts. It is about having a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and honoring Him in all we do and say. It is about discovering your purpose in life along with gaining courage to face life’s battles and greater strength to win! Most importantly, it is about having eternal life to enjoy God, family and friends for ever.
Therefore, the real question is:
“Do you know 100% for sure if you died today
that you would go to heaven?”
The question is not: do you go to church, or are you a good person? The question is: Do you know, without a doubt, 100% for sure that you will go to heaven when you die? The simple truth is this; it doesn’t matter how well we follow the principles of Christianity and the Golden Rule when we die. God says Eternal Life is a Gift to receive-not to be worked out by our good behavior, church membership or some special favor we offer to God.
If it were possible to be absolutely sure that all of your sins against God are forgiven and that you could be sure of going to heaven when you die; would that be a conversation you would want to have? If yes, then read on…
Warning: What I am about to show you may be something your never thought possible before today and something that could change your life forever!
Why Do I Need To Be Saved?
We all are born with a nature to sin. Committing a sin is when I do something hurtful or painful to myself or others. The 10 Commandments give us the 10 core areas where we all have sinned. The Bible also says, “There is none righteous, no, not one”. Romans 3:10 “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”, Romans 3:23. This means that no one does everything right and we all come up short meeting God’s expectations. In other words, no one is perfect, right?
If we want to go to heaven when we die we must accept personal responsibility for our words and actions along with admitting we need God’s help. Why? Because telling a lie is a sin, stealing is a sin, using curse words and wickedness against someone is a sin. Having sexual thoughts about someone other than your spouse is a sin. I admit that I am guilty of many sins and I am not proud of it. However, it is important for all of us to first admit our guilt of breaking God’s commandments because sin has consequences.
What Is The Consequence Of My Sin?
Romans 6:23 of the New Testament says “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.” Death and Life are mentioned in this Bible verse and both of these speak of eternal existence. There is eternal existence in death, which is eternal suffering for sin apart from God and the other is eternal life in Heaven through forgiveness, as a gift of God. Consider these two eternal destinations a little further:
• The first part of this verse speaks of death as the consequence of sin. This death isn’t the death of the body. God said to Adam, “the day you eat of it you shall surely die”, Genesis 2:17. Adam sinned but his body didn’t die that day. In fact, he lived for many more years; however, the connection from his spirit to God’s Spirit did die that day. (The first three chapters in Genesis expands this account in the Bible.)
Adam could no longer hear God in his spirit; therefore, God had to speak to him through his ears with words, to give him the message of salvation. It is equally true today that sin causes our separation from God and God uses words to reach us with His message of forgiveness and salvation. The ultimate separation from God is in the Lake of Fire where there is total darkness, eternal pain and loneliness with no one remembering that you are in a place of torment.
• The second thing is that God wants to give to us the gift of Eternal Life. It is for this reason that Jesus said in John 3:16-17 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son (to die in our place), that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.” Again, the Bible says “God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us”, Romans 5:8. “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance”, I Peter 3:9.
Read these verses again. Is it clear that God loves each one of us and doesn’t want anyone to experience eternal punishment? In order to save us, Jesus volunteered to come and take our punishment for sin in our place. He truly doesn’t want anyone to perish but rather that we repent of personal sin and come to Him. It was God’s Love for us that moved Him to accepted Jesus death in our place. Jesus’ life wasn’t taken from Him; rather He gladly laid down His life out of perfect love. God cannot allow sin in Heaven so we must receive eternal life before we die. Once we die our eternal destiny is settled forever!
Yes, God Has A Plan To Overcome The Sin Problem!
If a person acknowledges that he is a sinner, and he accepts the promise that Christ died in our place; then he is at a crossroads. Either we will reject God’s gift of salvation and accept the consequences of sin, or we will accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. What must a person do to accept this gift? Simply receive Jesus into your heart by faith! The Bible says, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name” John 1:12. “Believe On The Lord Jesus Christ And You Will Be Saved, You And Your Family.” Acts 16:31
What must we do in order to be saved?
His invitation is clear. Come to Him and receive God’s gift of salvation by faith! It says in the book of Revelation 3:20, “Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him.” In the same way, Jesus stands at the door of your heart and knocks, seeking entrance into your life. The Prophet Isaiah says, “Come now, and let us reason together, says the LORD, though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool” (Isaiah 1:18). Jesus is ready to accept you as you are if you will receive Him as He is. Do you want God’s forgiveness and the gift of Eternal Life?
How do I accept Him?
Pray this prayer of faith from your heart and trust Him to forgive all of your sins and give to you eternal life. Your prayer should be something like this: “LORD JESUS I know that I am a sinner and I admit it. I am ashamed and I am sorry for my wrong behavior and ask you to forgive me for my sinfulness and save my soul from eternal punishment. I accept the Bible’s message that you alone died for me to pay the price for my sins. I should be punished for my sin but I am asking for your love, mercy and forgiveness instead. I am thankful that you are offering this gift to me so freely. Thank you for loving me, forgiving me, and saving me. I believe you have entered my life and now I am your child. Amen!”
Go back and say this prayer in sincere faith and Trust in Him now. Today is the day of salvation. There may not be a tomorrow to make this decision. Claim the promise of Romans 10:9, 10, 13, “If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame. For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
If you just prayed that prayer and really meant it, Jesus Christ has now taken residence in your heart! Not only that, but he has forgiven you of all your sin. The Bible tells us, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness” 1 John 1:9. God also promises, “As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions (Sins) from us” Psalms 103:12.
What is next now that I am saved?
Now that you have become a Christian believer, what do you do next? Here are some things that can help you as you increase your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ:
1) Read Your Bible. If you don’t have one, get one. Many churches give them away for free or just buy one. There are Bibles available at www.christianbook.com. Once you have a Bible, Read It. My suggestion is to start in the New Testament and read the Gospel of John. Satan will try to discourage you and stop you from reading and understanding the Bible. It is important for you to learn about God in order to understand His ways which will be a foundational pillar to your new faith. Jesus said, “Learn of me…” – we accomplish this by reading and memorizing Scripture.
2) Talk to God. Prayer is our communication with God and is the second foundational pillar necessary to growth in your faith. Our Heavenly Father wants you to speak to Him daily. The scripture says, “pray without ceasing”. Praise Him in your prayers, pray for your friends, family, those that don’t know Jesus, your leaders, your enemies – everyone! The Lord wants us to “cast our cares” on Him – when you are having trouble, talk to the Lord and read your Bible.
3) Find a Church Home. The third foundational pillar is a Church Family. Join a Church that believes, teaches and follows the Bible. God wants us to be involved with a church (others who believe in Jesus Christ) where there is godly friendship and fellowship. We will be spending eternity with others who have believed in Him as well, so let’s get acquainted now. Guard yourself from individuals and personalities who would hinder you from attending church but rather go to church to learn about and worship Jesus and to be in His service. Keep in mind that some Christians have grown more than others so find a mature Christian to help you grow and mature in your new faith.
After we have been “born from above”, Scripture tells us that we are to be continually sanctified by following the Lord’s words and commandments. Jesus commandments are found in the New Testament. We are to obey Him and the first commandment He gives is twofold: (1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, your soul, your mind, and your strength (2) and love your neighbor as yourself. The Lord Jesus taught much on this in the Bible.
The next commandment is for you to be baptized. “Those who gladly received his word were baptized…” The God who created the world created you also and saved you. Remember, He doesn’t make mistakes in His creation and never creates junk. He has a plan for your life and you will need to seek Him to discover your destiny. Continue to read, follow and memorize God’s commandments throughout the Bible to grow in the strength of the Christian life and you will find and fulfill His awesome plan for you.
Once you have made this personal decision to receive Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord, please contact me at Service@ARCElectricCompany.net and let me share in your excitement and new faith. Email me because I want to hear from you.
God bless you in your new life.